Close Menu

Frequently Asked Questions


Weather / public emergencies

In the event of impending severe weather or other public emergencies, cancellations will be announced on our website,, or you can call 608-263-4432 to learn whether a UW–Madison Continuing Studies program or course has been cancelled.

If I have to cancel my registration, will I get a refund?

You can find the cancellation policy for each course on the course details page. For an overview of our general policies, visit the policies and related information page.

Courses and registration

Accessibility accommodations

We seek to create an inclusive environment where everyone can fully participate. If you need accessibility accommodation, please email 2-3 weeks prior to the class, or as soon as possible. Also, make sure to note your request in the space provided on your registration form. Requests are confidential.

Do you offer scholarships?

Occasionally, programs have scholarships available to help with registration fees. For other programs, special arrangements can be made to help participants or organizations unable to afford the entire fee. Contact the listed coordinator to learn about availability of financial assistance with registration fees.

Do all of your courses meet on the UW–Madison campus?

Most, but not all of our courses meet on the UW–Madison campus at Pyle Center, located at 702 Langdon Street. Other locations can include the Memorial Union and Lowell Center, also located on Langdon Street. Larger conferences are often times held at private hotel and conference centers. Please check program descriptions for exact locations.

Are your courses for specific professionals only, or can the general public attend?

We have programs for both professional development and personal enrichment. Anyone can attend our courses.

Who do I call if I have more questions about a specific program?

The coordinator and contact information for each topic area appears on the web page about that program.

How can I confirm that I am really registered for a course?

Call the registration office directly at 608-265-3261 or 1-800-442-4617 and they will be happy to check on your registration.

Do you offer any certificate programs?

Yes, UW–Madison Continuing Studies offers noncredit certificate programs for a variety of professions.

Is there a minimum age requirement?

Except for our Badger Precollege courses specifically designed for minors, our courses are intended for adult learners. Please contact us to discuss the possibility of registering a minor.

What kinds of research is your faculty conducting?

Faculty members conduct applied research in a variety of fields. View our faculty and staff directory to learn more about our staff and their areas of expertise and research.

Need more help?

(7:45 am –4:30 pm, M-F)

Looking for a class?

Browse our classes to find what you are looking for.

Online Courses

Do I have to be a University of Wisconsin–Madison student to take a course?

No. Student status is not required.

Are the course fees higher if I don’t live in Wisconsin?


Can I take online courses if I live overseas?

Yes. Students are already taking our courses from many parts of the world.

How long can I take to finish an online course?

It varies depending on the course. Most self-paced online courses allow one year from registration to complete.

When can I start an online course?

Unless a specific start date is listed on the course information page, you can start an online course at any time and work at your own pace. Our faculty and instructors are not tied to an academic-year schedule.

Can I take more than one online course at a time?

Yes. You can take multiple courses or stagger the starting dates of courses according to your own schedule.

Do I have to own a computer?

No. You may access our courses from wherever you wish.

Can I work from different places and computers as I proceed through the course?

Definitely. For our web courses, you only need to remember, your NetID and password.

What is expected of me in an online course?

The great benefit of being in an online course is that you can have direct, one-to-one communication with your instructor — and, in some of our courses, with your fellow students — at any time, rather than only during class or office hours. If you do take advantage of this new ability, then you should check your email regularly.

Similarly, you are strongly encouraged to post questions and comments on the course discussion boards, if they are made available. This method of informal communication is an important and very rewarding replacement for the atmosphere and camaraderie of a friendly, face-to-face classroom. And just like in a classroom, if everyone else gets to hear a question and its answer, everyone learns from it.


Are online courses offered for college credit?

No. These are noncredit courses which are offered for Continuing Education Units (CEUs) which are not equal or interchangeable with university credit.

Are your courses available for undergraduate or graduate credit?

Most of our programs offer Continuing Education Units (CEU) that are recognized for professional continuing education, not for completion of a specific degree such as a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree. In addition, the University of Wisconsin, Department of Professional Development and Applied Studies is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association for Social Work Boards (ASWB) (1-800-225-6880) through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program.

Are all of your programs available for Continuing Education Credits (CEUs)?

Yes, all of our programs offer CEUs. Many are approved for specific professional continuing education requirements, such as the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction equivalency clock hours.


Where can I park on the UW-Madison campus?

  • UW campus parking information (in some lots you can purchase a spot ahead of time)
    • Lot 46 between University Ave. & Johnson St (enter off Frances St. or Lake St.)
    • Fluno Center located at 601 University Ave. (enter on Frances St.; booth is staffed from 7 a.m.–10 p.m., Monday-Saturday)
    • Grainger Hall between University Ave. & Johnson St. (enter from Brooks St.)
  • City parking near campus
    • Lucky Building public parking (enter on Lake St. between Johnson & Lake; Public parking in a 24-hour, metered ramp that is part of the University Square development)
    • State Street Campus Garage, 430 N Frances St (Frances St side) and 415 N Lake St (Lake St side) Public parking in a 24-hour, metered ramp
  • Special event parking
  • Campus construction detours

Where can I find lodging?

There are lodging options close to Pyle Center, where many of our programs are held. Lodging is not included in the program price unless otherwise noted.


Does your department provide consultation services?

Yes! Several of our faculty and staff provide consultation services to agencies and organizations.

There are several people in our office that would benefit from training. Can you come to us?

Yes! We offer on-site training services and custom training opportunities.

Is there advising to help me decide which courses are best for my needs?

Yes. Please contact the course instructor by phone or e-mail, as posted in the class listing.

Join our mailing list

Sign up to receive news and updates from the Division of Continuing Studies.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.